New Quiet Door Option for Residential Steel Doors
As residential openers have gotten quieter, homeowners now notice the noise made by the opening and closing of steel doors more. To reduce the sound of steel door operation, the Amarr Quiet Door option is now available to order for residential steel doors.
The Quiet Door option reduces the noise of door operation by up to 38% which equates to going from the sound of a vacuum cleaner to the sound of a running shower.
So, the Quiet Door solution consists of noise-dampening nylon sleeves that slide over the roller stems in the roller carrier and are secured with included push nuts.
This new option in now available at Lodi Garage Doors & More.
Do not use the Amarr Quiet Door option for the following:
- Upgrades to existing Amarr SafeGuard doors
- 16-gauge conventional hinges – Please upgrade to 14-gauge hinges to use the Quiet Door option.
- Residential top fixture – Noise reducing benefits of the Quiet Door option will still be achieved.
- Adjustable roller carrier for high pressure Wind Load doors.
Even though we did not experience any issues in our initial and extensive testing. the Quiet Door sleeves may not fit in some roller carriers due to variances in supplier production. Because we are currently working with the suppliers of these parts to make adjustments to accommodate the sleeves
SafeGuard Roller Carriers
SafeGuard roller carriers have been modified to fit the Quiet Door sleeves at all tolerances. Also hardware boxes currently being produced include the new roller carriers. As a result, the sleeves may or may not fit in SafeGuard roller carriers produced prior to this modification depending on the tolerance of the opening size.
Quiet Door Sleeve Installation
Following the proper sequence found in the Quiet Door installation instructions will make it easier to install sleeves in any roller carrier:
- Slide the sleeve over the roller stem
- Insert the roller stem with the sleeve into the barrel of the roller carrier
Installing the sleeve on the roller stem before inserting into the hinge barrel allows you to use the roller for leverage to get the sleeve into the hinge.
Some other useful tips for New Quiet Door Option for Residential Steel Doors
- Lubricate the metal components: rollers, hinges, tracks and springs. Only use lubricant intended for use on metal, such as 10W‑30 motor oil. Apply with an oil can and wipe off the excess with a rag. Do not use grease! When the metallic parts of a torsion spring system rub together, this can be a major source of noise.
- Tighten all nuts and bolts: make sure that there are no loose screws.
- Check the condition of the rollers and tracks: are they damaged or worn? Keep in mind that rollers should roll‑not slide‑inside the track. Are the tracks properly aligned?
- Replace your chain‑driven garage door opener with a belt‑driven one.