A garage door is the largest moving object in the home. These doors are often operated by electric door openers. Proper installation, operation, maintenance, and testing of the garage door and
automatic opener are necessary to provide safe, trouble-free operation.
- Do not stand or walk under a moving door!
- Do not let children or adults play “beat the door.”
- It is dangerous and can result in serious injury or death. Adults should set a good example.
- Know how to use the emergency release in case someone is pinned by the door.
- The push button wall control should be out of reach of children (at least 5 feet from the floor) and away from all moving parts. Mount and use the button where you can clearly see the moving garage door.
- When using the push button or transmitter, keep the door in sight until it completely stops moving. Teach children never to play under or near an open garage door.
- Teach children to keep their hands and fingers clear of section joints, hinges, track, springs, and other door parts. Contact with a moving door or its hardware could cause injury. These injuries can also happen with garage doors that don’t have automatic openers.
- Do not let children play with or use the transmitters or remote controls. Always place and store them out of the reach of children.